Monday, July 3, 2017

SET PASSWORD will lock you out of your slave in a mixed 5.6/5.7 MySQL topology

Long time no post.... :-)
Here's something interesting.

Last week I decided to give MySQL 5.7 a try (yes, I am kinda conservative DBA...) and the very same day that I installed my first 5.7 replica I noticed that, after changing my own password on the 5.6 master, I could no longer connect to the 5.7 slave.

Very annoying, to say the least! So I went and dug out the root password (which we do not normally use) and when I connected to the slave I was surprised to see that my password's hash on the 5.7 slave was different than the hash on the 5.6 master. No wonder I couldn't connect....

A bit of research on the MySQL documentation and I understood that 5.7 introduced few changes around the way you work with users' passwords.  SET PASSWORD is now deprecated in favour of ALTER USER: see MySQL 5.7 Reference Manual page.

So far so good, but it's obvious that when Oracle implemented those changes, they didn't consider upgrade paths, or mixed 5.6/5.7 topologies that are commonly found  during a major MySQL version upgrade, like in this case.

Turns out there is a bug first reported by Gillian Gunson back in September 2016 (SET PASSWORD replicates incorrectly between 5.6 and 5.7) which Oracle acknowledged but didn't care to fix at the time of this blog post. Sorry for the rant, but I really feel this to be a real showstopper to any migration where there are many database users and where a password change may happen quite often.

As Gillian pointed out in the above bug, what really happens is that the password is hashed twice, and on the replica we get an hash of the already hashed password - no wonder it doesn't work :-)

The good news is that this is really an easy fix. I was able to patch this myself in few minutes, and the patch is one line of code....  you can find the diff below, this was applied to 5.7.18 Percona source code  but I believe it will  be the same in Oracle MySQL, regardless the minor version.

Basically, I added a check to avoid hashing the password if the thread is a slave thread and the command is  a SET PASSWORD. This check may break the use of SET PASSWORD when master will be on 5.7, I didn't check that - but hey, SET PASSWORD is deprecated anyways... and I will only use my patched version of 5.7 during the migration.

Enjoy!

*** sql/auth/sql_user.cc Mon Jul  3 16:18:55 2017
--- sql/auth/sql_user.cc.patch Mon Jul  3 16:07:01 2017
***************
*** 565,570 ****
--- 565,574 ----
    */
    if ((Str->uses_identified_by_clause ||
        (Str->auth.length == 0 && !user_exists)) 
+      // Rick Pizzi: don't change to hash if thread is a replication thread and a 
+      // SET PASSWORD was issued on master, to avoid double hash
+  // (fix for https://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=82979)
+  && (!thd->slave_thread || thd->lex->sql_command != SQLCOM_SET_OPTION))
    {
      st_mysql_auth *auth= (st_mysql_auth *) plugin_decl(plugin)->info;
      inbuf= Str->auth.str;

2 comments:

  1. You linked to the wrong bug, mine was https://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=82979

    ReplyDelete